There are many psychiatrists in Los Angeles. Here are some reasons why people choose LATMS for their care.
- In March 2009, Dr. Cook launched UCLA's TMS Program just five months after FDA clearance of the technique, becoming the first psychiatrist at any University of California campus to treat depression with TMS.
- Dr. Cook has focused on advancing the care of depression for over two decades, as part of the NIH's landmark STAR*D clinical trial and in many original research projects.
- He combines the best of the scientific evidence with years of clinical experience and empathic concern for the whole patient.
- Dr. Cook is an expert in how psychiatric disorders affect the brain and how to treat them.
- Not only is he board certified in psychiatry by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, but he previously served as an examiner for the Board.
- For many years, he chaired the Curriculum Committee for the UCLA Department of Psychiatry and taught core courses in the Residency in psychopharmacology, neuromodulation, and ethics and professionalism.
- Dr. Cook is an inventor on over three dozen patents and patent applications for new therapeutic and diagnostic biomedical devices.
- He has been the Principal Investigator on several million dollars of federal research grants and research contracts with industry, supporting his innovative clinical and translational research.
- He served as the Chief Translational Innovation Officer at the Semel Institute for Neuroscience and Human Behavior at UCLA, identifying promising innovations that might be successfully brought forward into products, before leaving the University in 2018.
4. Personal Attention, Not Mass Production
- The Los Angeles TMS Institute concentrates all its resources at a single center in West Los Angeles.
- Some treatment programs may boast about being large providers with many locations, but how does that help you receive the best possible care as an individual?
- A proponent of a personalized medicine approach in Psychiatry since the 1990s, Dr. Cook sees every patient at LA TMS directly, to optimize each person's care.
- Others follow our lead. Dr. Cook has taught nationally and internationally about neuromodulation.
- He has served on the Board of Directors of the Clinical TMS Society since 2013, and currently chairs its Legal, Business, and Ethics Committee.
- Since 2009 he has been an Editor for FOCUS, the continuing medical education publication of the American Psychiatric Association.
- In 2018, he taught in the Master Class on TMS at the APA's Annual Meeting, and will do so again in 2019.
- For 14 years, he was a member of the APA's Steering Committee on Practice Guidelines, promulgating evidence-based care in psychiatry.
- He served as Chair of the Faculty of the David Geffen School of Medicine and Chief of Staff of the Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UCLA.
© copyright 2018-2023, Los Angeles TMS Institute, Inc., All Rights Reserved
The materials provided on this web site are for informational purposes only.
If you need urgent psychiatric care, please go to the nearest emergency room
with the assistance of friends, family, or emergency medical services as needed.